4.05.2012

Motherhood is Not a Competition.

I adore the Scary Mommy Manifesto by Jill Smokler. I subscribe to every bullet point; therefore, I will definitely be reading her book, Confessions of a Scary Mommy: An Honest and Irreverent Look at Motherhood: The Good, The Bad, and the Scary.

You can read the entire manifesto here, but here are my favorite parts:

  • I shall not compete with the mother who effortless bakes from scratch, purees her own baby food, or fashions breathtaking costumes from tissue paper. Motherhood is not a competition. The only ones who lose are the ones who race the fastest.
  • I shall shoot the parents of the screaming newborn on the airplane looks of compassion rather than resentment. I am fortunate to be able to ditch the kid upon landing. They however, are not.
  • I shall never claim to know everything about any child but my own. (Who still remains a mystery to me.)
  • I shall not preach the benefits of breastfeeding or circumcision or home schooling or organic food or co-sleeping or crying it out to a fellow mother who has not asked my opinion. It's none of my damn business.
  • I shall remember that no mother is perfect and my children will thrive because, and sometimes even in spite, of me.

Amen!

No comments: