8.27.2010

The Best Smelling Cup Of Coffee In The World.

There was a man at the train stop yesterday evening. I named him Mr. Leisure. He was taking his sweet time. I have rarely seen anyone who would actually fit the definition of strolling. To stroll, there has to be a certain level of sophistication involved as well as an amazingly steady pace and impressive length of stride.  Mr. Leisure was definitely strolling.. He was strolling down the platform having a quiet conversation on his cell phone, completely oblivious to the fact that AB and I were behind him. In addition, he carried The Best Smelling Cup Of Coffee In The World.

At the time, however, I was frustrated with his leisurely pace as I could see the lights of the train approaching. I wanted to get AB to our usual waiting spot. So, I impatiently switched us to the other side of the platform to allow for our brisker walk, since we were clearly outpacing Mr. Leisure.

Triumphant, we stood in our spot as the train doors opened before us. But alas, Mr. Leisure arrives not a moment too soon and steps into the same car. AB and I luck out with a pair of seats. As we get comfortable, I smell the coffee. He stood directly above me for the duration of his ride. I smelled the amazing goodness of his ridiculously aromatic coffee for the next four stops.

Was he teasing me with The Best Smelling Cup Of Coffee In The World that I will never have (because I never got a good look at his cup) to punish me for my impatience? No, I think Mr. Leisure was just enjoying his coffee and conversation. I envy his contentment.

Lesson learned: Slow down and smell the coffee. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line after all. A stroll in a straight line will get you to the same place (at the same time) as the brisk roundabout. I do believe that Mr. Leisure's way is best.

No comments: